As you probably already know – we are big fans of Don Steinbrugge and his approach to raising capital and his approach to building a business. He is probably the best 3rd Party Marketer in the Hedge Fund Business. We are also huge fans of Matthias Knab and the team at Opalesque – these two we believe are at the top of their game. So here’s a neat video of Matthias Knab interviewing Don Steinbrugge.
By the way, Opalesque TV has a great offer for Emerging Managers – Click here to find out more and how to showcase your business on this great platform
Don is the founder of Agecroft Partners, a global hedge fund marketing firm that has won 36 awards as the Third Party Marketing Firm of the Year. Don has spoken at over 100 hedge fund conferences, has been quoted in hundreds of articles, and is regular guest on Bloomberg Television and CNBC. Previously, Don was a founding principal of Andor Capital Management, the world’s 2nd largest hedge fund at the time, as well as the Head of Institutional Sales for Merrill Lynch Investment Managers (now BlackRock). Agecroft also produces the annual Gaining the Edge – Hedge Fund Leadership Conference in NYC, one the leading hedge fund events in the industry.
In this Opalesque.TV BACKSTAGE interview, Don shares his thoughtful analysis on why the hedge fund industry is “the most competitive industry” and what it takes to succeed at a time when 75% of asset flows go to funds with greater than $5bn.
He shares key insights about which investor groups are dominating the asset flows today, how investors select hedge funds, and the market environment for smaller hedge funds in general. Learn more about:
- Three things each hedge fund needs to focus on to succeed and stay in business
- The factors hedge fund investors use to evaluate hedge funds. It is not all about performance
- When should managers alter their risk controls? Need to provide a strategy investors want to buy
- The importance of brand and first impressions: Reducing the gap between perception and the reality of the quality of a hedge fund
- How to develop a consistent, high quality marketing message
- If a hedge fund has a great product, will assets come without a sales and marketing strategy? What is important to consider when implementing a sales strategy?
- The hedge fund sales process: Why asset growth is not linear but exponential. Advice for emerging hedge fund managers
- How important are hedge fund conferences? Should hedge funds be active with social media?
- Reality check: How has investor sentiment changed over the past 2 years?
About Opalesque and Matthias Knab
Opalesque was formed in 2001 to provide professional news services to participants in the alternative investment sector. Since inception, Opalesque has been providing premium online information services related to the hedge fund and investment industries. The Opalesque publication Alternative Market Briefing is the only daily hedge fund news service read by the elite hedge fund managers themselves (see our Testimonial page for more)
Opalesque is led by Matthias Knab, an internationally recognized expert on hedge funds and alternatives. Mr. Knab has frequently served as chairman of hedge fund conferences New York, Greenwich, Miami, London, Monaco, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Bahamas, Stockholm and Dubai. In addition, he has spoken at or moderated panels at hedge fund events or Roundtables in Chicago, San Francisco, Scottsdale, Denver, Toronto, Geneva, Zurich, Frankfurt, Cannes, Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne, Cape Town, Madrid, Moscow, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Auckland, Abu Dhabi and Bombay, and lectured at numerous universities on the subjects of hedge funds and the state of the global alternative asset management industry.